Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Session 3 - David Rosales



  • We all go through tough times But it's what God shows us through the tough times that really matter

  • Emphasize the (written) Word of God - it points infallibly to the (living) Word of God

  • "I am eternally grateful to you."

    • That's what's in the balance



  • "We're not in it for budgets & bodies."

  • "My people can watch the news if they want that - what they need from the pulpit is the Word of God."

  • I need to model the Word, not just teach it.

    • I must impart my life to the people

    • They can read my notes if it's just about Bible study disconnected from a life that reflects it



  • Common question I'm going to hear: "Do you also want to go away?"

  • Affliction & anguish bring that into my life

    • But they're an indispensible part of discipleship

    • A part of being conformed to Jesus' image

    • "the saw & chisel are cruel tools, but are needed to take crude stone & make it what it needs to be."



  • Tozer - not a megachurch pastor, but very influential - pshaw with numbers.

    • It's more about living it



  • Psalm 119:71

  • Spurgeon: "if we would be scholars, we must be sufferers. God's word is best read by wet eyes."

  • "To whom shall I go? You only have the words of life"

  • Afflictions purify

    • They help me center on the eternal

    • They can authenticate my ministry

      • I'm obviously not in it for the money & fame! :mrgreen:





  • What have I done to prepare the church for my eventual removal?

    • I must prepare Elishas, Joshuas, & Timothys



  • Regular discipleship is critical

    • Dave takes his men with him on ministry visits & trips



  • Paul discipled Timothy

    • Build the ministry on the foundation that God has given



  • I don't want somebody who wants to just teach...I want somebody who loves the sheep

  • Shepherds love the sheep - not use or abuse them



No comments: