Friday, April 06, 2007

Wreaths & Mezuzahs

I actually think this is a good thing.

Firstly, because as a Christian, I have great respect for Judaism (while acknowledging that Judaism as modernly practiced bears very little resemblance to the religion of the Old Testament - but I digress) due to our Hebraic roots.

But also because the whole psychotic secularization trend of the last two decades or so is downright idiotic. I don't have a problem with anybody displaying morally appropriate religous symbology; some Muslim dude wants to put the whole "In the Name of the Moon God - er, I mean, Allah" thing on his door during Eid al-Fitr (for crying out loud, we already have those postage stamps) - more power to him. So long as it's not gaudy (and that extends to gaudy Christmas wreaths - which incidentally have just about nothing to do with Christianity anyway... but again, I digress).

Our government is supposed to be religiously neutral, not religiously hostile. As has been said before, the Constitution guarantees freedom of religion, not federally imposed freedom from religion.

So I completely support Richter's case here. Hope her and Acosta win.

No comments: