Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Semi-Live Blogging the Midwest Pastors’ Conference: Session 2 - Joe Bruch

Acts 20

  • Ephesus started out as a great church - with love for the Lord
    • But it somehow, subtly shifted to a love for ministry.
  • Just preach Jesus - not so much temporary issues.
    • It is the Gospel of Jesus which changes lives.
  • ''None of these things move me."
  • There is a lot in Acts 20 for church leaders.
    • First of all, note that Paul took for granted that his life would serve as an example - a good example.
    • It wasn't just the power of his message, but the consistency & power of his life.
    • As pastors,our manner of living will either amplify or negate what we're teaching.
    • The people need an example. Not just a talking head.
    • A pastor who does not live his message is doing a grave disservice for his people.
      • Consistent living.
  • {example of George Markey.}
  • What the people need is an example of a man who loves Jesus and the sheep and live out the Word.
  • Don't just preach the Word; live it.
  • ''It is not so much great talents that God blesses as He does the image of Jesus in a man's life."
  • What a privilege to serve the lord by serving His people.
  • ''What are you doing? Who are you doing it for?"
  • "God cannot find many men who can handle great blessing."
  • Jesus always served the ''one."
    • No ministry was too small, no person too far away.
    • {the two- page letter}
  • Sometimes, I must realize that I cannot be someone's pastor.
    • Just pastor,love, serve those God has given me.
  • Perseverance in the ministry, is a very necessary thing.
  • Trials come from within as well as without.
  • No one having put his hand to the plow and looking back is worthy of the Kingdom.
  • Paul didn't just crowd, but also to the people - individually.
  • Don't put things off - deal with it earlier than later.
    • The wall gets built higher and higher.
    • Address things early.
    • Nip things in the bud.
  • Again: "none of these things move me."
    • Why? ''I don't count my life dear to me." It wasn't about Paul at all.
    • The Lord has given some to be captains over thousands, some over hundreds, some over tens.
  • I have a long way to go - but I'm only going to get there as I Keep my eyes on & rest in Him.
    • What an honor it is. That he would entrust me with a flock.
    • Never belittle what the Lord is doing.
  • What ismy relationship with Jesus?
    • If I'm not careful, I can neglect my relationship with my Lord?
    • With my wife?
    • In my private life?
  • Watch over ALL the flock of God.
    • No favorites.
    • No cliques.
    • The unlovely as well as the lovely.
    • This is not a flippant, light thing; it is the call of God.
  • ''I commend you to God, and the Word of His grace."

No comments: