Tuesday, September 19, 2006

When in Texas...

Was browsing through random blogs on Blogger (tm) today during lunch break, and ran across an interesting perspective on American culture and the differences between America and India from a gentleman who travelled to Texas on business. Interesting how he perceives America, and the differences between my homeland and his...

Of all the things I'd take exception to, his assertion that America has no culture is probably the biggest. We don't have nearly as monolithic a culture as India has, to be sure; but there is, in my opinion, a very distinct American culture. In fact, all I need to do to point out the real existence of that culture is that the French are apoplectic about it and are doing everything they can to prevent America from culturally colonizing them. Sort of like the fact that one of the stronger arguments for the existence of God is the existence of "atheists." You can't hate something with such mindless ferocity that has no real, independent existence (there aren't any "We Hate Sauron The Dark Lord" groups that I'm aware of, for instance).

Anyway, I digress... It's an interesting read just to see how our culture is viewed from the point of view of someone from another culture...

1 comment:

Suryansh said...

Hi Mike,

In hindsight I admit that saying America has no culture was wrong especially since I formed that opinion within a month of moving here. Now that I have been here for two years, I have begun liking it here. But I still feel that if somebody were to ask me what is the unique thing about US culture, I'd struggle to answer !!